Most Wi-Fi Extenders have a basic setup procedure, some are also plug-n-play type. Either way you should be up and running instantly.
Similar to a router Wi-Fi extenders can be set up using the wizard or by manual setup. Steps may vary depending on the manufacturer, hence it is always advised to read the product manual before beginning. Below is the general method used on most of the extenders,
- Connect one extender to the power socket near the router . Also connect a patch cord between the router and the extender and power ON the extender.
- Connect the second extender to any other power socket and turn it ON.
- Check for the IP of the extender to access the console on the extender. You can get this info from the manual or on the label on the extender.Some extenders come with a software which helps in installation of the extender. Other also have a online registration system as in NETGEAR.
- Once you have logged into the console , follow the wizard and enter the required details for your network and finish the installation.
- You can now move the second extender away and connect in another room to get the Wi-Fi connectivity. This extender will display a new SSID to connect the devices.
- Internet is shared from the main router to the first extender. Then through the internal power cabling it reaches the second extender where it can be accessed on a wired or wireless network.